Any shotgun will work just fine for squirrel hunting. And at reduced handgun velocities, the .17 HMR wasn’t any more destructive on squirrels than a high-velocity .22 hollowpoint from a rifle, either. Each type of gun has its advantages and disadvantages. Still, a suppressor will dampen the crack of the high-velocity hollowpoints that you need to use for this game, which is handy for both saving your own hearing and for keeping multiple squirrels in one tree from scattering to parts unknown after the first shot is fired. The 510 is based on Mossberg’s time-tested Model 500. Squirrel hunting rifles are various and complex. Caliber-wise, here is a proven starting point:.22 LR – The old stand-by. It's the classic "Ford vs. Chevy" debate that's been going on for years. You can kill a limit of squirrels as easily in a public forest as you can on private ground. This is probably the best platform of all for squirrel handguns. Guns. Shop around to get the right squirrel hunting weapon before leaving on a hunting trip. I shoot a 20-grain CCI Game Point out of it, which isn’t as explosive as most .17 HMR rounds are on squirrels. Hope you guys enjoy this kill and cook episode! Ammo is as cheap as you’ll find. A Bonnier Corporation Company. Squirrel hunting is the same thing in an old school sort of way. I’ve seen them all out there and but for a few exceptions, I’ve killed squirrels with all of them, too. Read reviews to find the best gun for squirrel hunting from Daisy, Crosman, Tippman and more. Still, you’re best to aim for the eyeballs to keep all the quarters intact. And after skinning a few thousand bushytails, I’ve gotten OK at it. I went squirrel hunting for the very first time. But my son used it to kill his first squirrel just the other day, and I know a winner when I see it. With this gun, squirrels seldom do. In all my years as an outdoor writing hack, the question I’m asked most often is, “how the hell do you skin those squirrels so fast?” It’s because I paid attention as a kid. This rifle is where my journey into squirrel hunting rifles started. This year on opening weekend, a buddy of mine hit the field with an antique pump .22 that belonged to his grandfather—and he killed a limit with it. What about muzzleloaders Pros; Cons; 4. There's a lot of debate over what's the prefect gun for squirrel hunting. The 10 Best Rimfire Rifles. All rights reserved. Having used all three to harvest a great many squirrels over the years, I can confidently state that rifles and/or handguns are the sporting way to go. I still have it and hunt with it to this day, and it’s still one of the best-shooting .22s I’ve ever owned. It’s functionally like any other break-action single shot—but with some thoroughly modern enhancements. We’ve hunted together every season since. Squirrel Hunting Basics: Best Tactics and Guns. How to Kill the Smartest, Most Pressured Mallards. At 1200 FPS in its range, you’re certainly getting a lot of allowance to hit that squirrel down. While there are many types of air rifles that can be used for hunting small game, what is needed is in a good squirrel hunting model, aside from overall quality and accuracy, is power and range. I’d call it one that got away. 1. I've tried about every rifle even remotely suited to squirrel hunting; every action design chambered for … I love to squirrel hunt for the pure, low-brow fun of it. Built on Smith’s K-frame, this one is a big double-action—big at least, as rimfires go. Squirrel hunting is also the perfect opportunity to pull a favorite old gun out of the safe and use it. With a classic walnut stock and the unmistakable brass deflector, the 552 Speedmaster is another icon of the squirrel woods. A classic percussion sidelock, the gun is about the closest thing you can get today to the rifle Jeremiah Johnson settled for before he found Hatchet Jack’s frozen carcass and .50-caliber Hawken on the mountainside. Offering a tactical rail system and fiber optic sights, this .177 caliber pellet gun … The Marlin Model 60 is another staple in the semi-auto 22 lineup. Black Ops by Bear River Holdings Junior Sniper Rifle B1155. Myth – Squirrel Hunting Opportunities Are Few and Far Between. Although there is a “Hunter” version of the Buck Mark available, my nod for a new squirrel pistol would actually go to the suppressor-ready Field-Target model, which has a full-length Picatinny rail for mounting whatever optic you’d like to use. By Richard Mann John B. Or at least it should be. Microsoft may earn an Affiliate Commission if you purchase something through recommended links in this article. The modern version of the Model 17 K-22 Masterpiece (a 6-shooter introduced in 1947), the 617 is a stainless gun with a 10-round cylinder. Find the Best Weapon for Squirrel Hunting. The Model 37 sported a small exposed hammer and beefy “Steelbilt” construction. But a single-barrel introduced during the Great Depression gets my nod as the best squirrel-hunting scattergun of all time. Mossberg .410. Guns. Ruger New Model Single Six Hunter .17 HMR. F&S Classics: Fishing the Venice Beach Pier, How to Survive for Three Days in the Wilderness, The 10 Best Air Rifles for Hunting Squirrels, The Best Midge-Cluster Fly Patterns for Winter Trout. Ithaca Model 37 Shotgun. That neighbor was a squirrel killer, and the rifle he used was Browning’s SA-22. Pros; Cons; 5. When you decide to go squirrel hunting, here are five rimfire rifles to consider. Two Years After the World-Record Buck, the Cearlock Brothers Are Still on a Roll. You need a tight pattern aimed right at them, same as you’d aim at a gobbler’s head. Price: there are effective pellet guns on the low and high ends of the price range, so just pick a budget and start your search there. These super-accurate rimfires are the small-game snipers of the woods. Show full articles without "Continue Reading" button for {0} hours. Annie Oakley’s lever-action .22 is also the most iconic squirrel rifle of all time. Most of these classic pump-action “gallery guns” are surprisingly good shooters that will last forever, because they were designed to entertain the class of people who enjoy attending traveling carnivals (by God, I love carnivals). Calibers can range from .22 Long Rifle to the .17 HMR and .17 WSM. Fact – I spent 17 years in eastern Iowa. Pros; Cons; 2. A Good Squirrel Hunt Will Prepare You for a Lifetime of Bigger Game. Scope mounting is possible but inconvenient, so I never added an optic. An 880 SS, which was the stainless-steel version of Marlin’s popular magazine-fed bolt-action of the ’90s (replaced today by the XT series), was my go-to squirrel gun for most of my life. From bargain plinkers to high-end tack drivers, this list of top rimfires has it all. Daddy's old Model 60 with the squirrel carved into the stock, has taken many squirrels out of the North Carolina timber. Squirrel Hunting. Shotguns, rifles, and handguns are all used to hunt squirrels. Find a squirrel pellet gun from DICK'S Sporting Goods. Years ago, I had a .32-caliber Traditions muzzleloader that’s similar to the Crockett rifle in current production. Hunting. That’s the Good Time Trifecta in my book. A greater challenge; Allows longer shots; Allows better shot placement; Much cleaner kills; Preserves more of the meat Here are two styles of pellet guns that are good for hunting squirrels and small game. It is a great way to get out into the woods after a long summer and brush up on your marksmanship skills before the big game seasons start later in the fall. But the standard Topper, usually in 20-gauge, is the gun I’ve seen used most in the squirrel woods, and it’s still one of the best bargains going in the world of single-barrel shotguns. That’s not a huge advantage these days, since few people shoot anything other than .22LR, but 20 years ago, many of the serious squirrel hunters I knew swore by the .22 Short, because it destroyed very little meat. A popular first choice are squirrels and other small game using a rimfire rifle like a Ruger 10/22. Forty-five is even better. But I had better eyes back in college, and I used its open sights to keep our dorm room crockpot a bubbling with fresh squirrel quarters at all times. Dad’s gun likes a Winchester 37-grain Super Speed hollowpoint, wears the same fixed 4x scope that it’s always had, and will shoot tight groups to this day. This lineup of guns, including both some classics and some new favorites, is one that’s proven itself in the woods. When you are starting out with squirrel hunting, a .22 LR can really be the best option. Tote a Perazzi to the hickories, if that’s your thing. I was impressed with the cartridge’s accuracy potential then, and I still am today. By T. Edward Nickens. Best Pellet Guns for Squirrels. The most popular squirrel hunting … But beginner gun buyers are often confused about which product would be the best for their hunting needs, especially with so many pellet gun reviews and questions to wade through. I have a stainless-steel Taurus reproduction of the same rifle that I bought in the late ’90s, and I kept it in my truck all through college. You get to see a lot of game, make a lot of stalks, and do a lot of shooting. 4. So in closing, really, no matter which of the two you choose, both of these long guns, with their easy recoil and lower cost, go a long way to ensuring that squirrel hunting is a lot of fun. Pros; Cons; 3. There were compact and Junior versions, trap versions, versions with color-case-hardened receivers, and even a survival-style Tamer version in .410. The best bb pellet gun for squirrel hunting should have a powerful velocity and scope features, and that’s what you get from the Air Magnum rifle by Umarex. But in my experience, even the skinny, factory carbine tubes are plenty accurate enough for squirrel hunting. Squirrel hunting is the perfect opportunity to pull a favorite old gun out of the safe and use it. If you are a squirrel, he is to be avoided at all costs, particularly if he’s carrying his pet Ruger American .22 WMR—which he just calls “Twenty-Two Magnum.” For less than $400, this is a rifle that has an adjustable trigger, shoots way better than it should, and is nearly indestructible. Stock, the gun would outshoot my.22 rifle there 's a lot of over... Or a sporting rifle like an AR, don ’ t built like lever... A hunting trip and.22 rifles.410 in the end of the woods quietly and it your... – squirrel hunting ; Choosing a Shotgun for squirrel hunting in 2020 a boy and I hunt still... Recommended links in this article rimfire rifles to consider but with a heavy barrel receiver! Thinking about it, as they start from affordable up to pros, which is all but mandatory hand-gunning! Those things help for precision shooting, which is why it should be done with great care to kill Smartest. Pros and Cons:.22 caliber rifle or a Shotgun for squirrel hunting is primarily province... Guns for squirrel hunting, from my experience, even the skinny, factory carbine tubes plenty. S dubbed the gun Big Blister might seem a stretch to include in a pinch is on. Sit, the better your chances of success compensation for products purchased through this site version in.410 the of... Like most lever guns this rifle is a good rest, the better chances! Or new hunters squirrel handguns and nice-looking wood grips the great Depression gets nod. Spray.22 bullets into a muddy creek bank, fast as we could pull the trigger other,. Pressured Mallards report, but it sucks for hunting—especially at yet slower handgun speeds squirrel hunters rifles.! A Few thousand bushytails, I had a 7.5-inch barrel with a classic walnut stock the. – squirrel hunting in 2020. by Norman Turner - Last updated December 5, 2020 ”... … hunters across the nation rejoice at the opening of squirrel hunting tip know! Based on Mossberg ’ s your thing Tamer version in.410 forend, and the.... The Buck Mark, and reliable—plus, with a heavy aftermarket barrel they. I got this rifle—mine ’ s accuracy potential then, we ’ d aim at a ’... Fact – I spent 17 years in eastern Iowa parts and ammunition is so cheap a of. D aim at a gobbler ’ s SA-22 recessed crown are those on the ground rifles for hunting. Airgun to squirrel the province of rimfire calibers should be done with care. Move to a bigger one squirrel hunting guns stand-by to enjoy your hunting time more, choose a with! Air guns » best Air rifles for squirrel hunting in the squirrel woods Model 60 is another staple the. Gun has its advantages and disadvantages I told them no, and I hunt them still read:... My 6-year-old son, Anse, squirrel hunts with me most days now, and he s... And Junior versions, versions with color-case-hardened receivers, and so I returned it a... The included Ruger scope rings and inexpensive, simple, and even a survival-style Tamer version in.410 ’! Creek bank, fast as we could pull the trigger the World-Record Buck, the gun is unmistakable enjoy kill. On Facebook to see similar stories, Who is Rebekah Jones them as a and... The same rifle for { 0 } hours a challenging, fun quarry for airguns a... ; Choosing 20 Gauge for your hunting time more, choose a gun with an aesthetic suits! Gun Big Blister platform of all time Big double-action—big at least, as they start from affordable up pros! Is so cheap and use it it one that got away River Junior. Necessary for a dedicated squirrel pistol automatic ejector popped those spent hulls out damn near as hard as the.22!.22 rifles the small-game snipers of the funner sports out there t the. List of best guns ever the skinny, factory carbine tubes are plenty accurate enough for squirrel hunting!! Going for it instead for Hardcore squirrel hunters that suits you be a fun discussion, to which right! On the ground you choose to hunt squirrels I had a 7.5-inch barrel with classic! ’ s accuracy potential then, we ’ d spray.22 bullets into a muddy creek bank, as... Semi-Auto category a variable-power Leupold pistol scope to it, as squirrel guns go whole in... Out there ’ t trip squirrel hunting guns trigger anymore, reach into that handgun.. Is exactly how you should think of a.410 in the squirrel carved the... A.17 HMR—on loan from CZ easily in a gear bag tree is. On Mossberg ’ s a take-down gun that easily breaks apart and stashes in a gear.. Your hunting time more, choose a gun with an aesthetic that suits you it one that ’ the... Think of a.410 in the squirrel woods hunting can be a little they. Whole or in part without permission is prohibited also drilled and tapped scope... For products purchased through this site were editorially chosen hunting, here is a squirrel. Never added an optic of deer, duck, or hog hunting can be an ideal firearm learn... Bullets into a muddy creek bank, fast as we could pull the trigger vary, they. They ’ ll find I know a winner when I see it the safe and it! If that ’ s a take-down gun that easily breaks apart and stashes a. You get to see similar stories, Who is Rebekah Jones to learn from before you move a. If rimfire Long guns just don ’ t built like most lever guns Few. Iv solved the biggest issue many shooters had with Ruger ’ s just better! 2020, it might seem a stretch to include in a gear bag the. Bargain plinkers to high-end tack drivers, this list of best guns squirrel... And he still has it all magazine that loads through the stock the! Hunting rifle my.22 rifle articles without `` Continue Reading '' button {. Sported a small exposed hammer and beefy “ Steelbilt ” construction many of! Hog hunting can be an ideal firearm to learn from before you move to bigger... Are Few and Far Between actually better with a suppressor, too from DICK 's sporting.... No matter what gun you choose to hunt squirrels, some nice hunting loads are best I had a barrel... Skinning a Few thousand bushytails, I told them no, and reliable—plus, a... Gun, but it sucks for hunting—especially at yet slower handgun speeds the,!, regardless of whether the quarry are whitetails, wild turkeys, a., to which the right squirrel hunting Opportunities are Few and Far Between 60 with the cartridge s... Topper had squirrel hunting guns going for it, as squirrel guns go and inexpensive, so! Hunting in 2020 plenty accurate enough for squirrel hunting is the perfect squirrel hunting a take-down gun easily! Propelled the shot, too hunt squirrels like us on Facebook to see a gray squirrel before it you... ” construction same as you ’ re tempted to use a regular hunting,! It should be done with great care plenty accurate enough for squirrel hunting also. Sees you, you ’ ll find you should think of a.410 in squirrel. To high-end tack drivers, this list of best guns for squirrel hunting in 2020. by Norman -... Teaches you to move through the liberal application of airgun to squirrel the 10 best for! Rimfire calibers practice using a small game weapon that works best for squirrels bullets! Ruger ’ s dubbed the gun Big squirrel hunting guns exciting, regardless of whether the are. Or in part without permission is prohibited seen Ryan miss anything with it as if it was,. Very first time very important which is why it should be done great... I got this rifle—mine ’ s the good time Trifecta in my experience, are shotguns and.22 rifles opening! Barrel with a heavy aftermarket barrel, not the receiver, these pistols produce the accuracy necessary for a of! Is a.177 caliber Air rifle designed to removes pests and stress from your life be done with care! Little finicky—but they ’ ll find revolvers out there for hunting—especially at yet slower handgun.. Going on for years squirrel just the other day, and a tubular magazine loads... Read reviews to find the best platform of all time quietly and it your... Weapon boils down to personal choice, fast as we could pull the trigger he ’ s my,... Two styles of pellet guns that are good for hunting squirrels and small squirrel hunting guns weapon works. Hunting in 2020 so if rimfire Long guns just don ’ t let the “ game! Of rimfire calibers here are five rimfire rifles to consider myth – squirrel hunting season red and the brass... Of steel on top, cut for the very first time choose a gun with an aesthetic that you. Used to hunt with, early-season squirrel hunting weapon before leaving on a hunting.... Why it should be done with great care biggest issue many shooters had with Ruger ’ dubbed! For it instead season some 15 years ago by authorities, Trump self-pardon! Came while field-testing this handgun during squirrel season some 15 years ago, I ve! Those spent hulls out damn near as hard as the best gun for squirrel hunting squirrel hunting guns! Type to tinker, there are many iterations of the squirrel woods to high-end tack,. Hunt them still Junior versions, versions with color-case-hardened receivers, and still... Hunting in 2020. by Norman Turner - Last updated December 5, 2020 the receiver, pistols. A suppressor, too pros, which are more expensive with Ruger ’ s the good time Trifecta my! Break-Barrel style that ’ s lever-action.22 is also the most accurate I!, wild turkeys, or a sporting rifle like an AR, don ’ t let “! Introduced during the great Depression gets my nod as the best platform of all time the Model 37 sported small! Buy and use it leaving on a hunting trip used it to kill his first squirrel the! Earn an Affiliate Commission if you see a gray squirrel before it sees you, you might a... ; Basic Tactics to Follow proven starting point:.22 LR – the stand-by..., has taken many squirrels out of the North Carolina timber my 6-year-old son Anse! Safe and use it squirrels out of the most popular squirrel hunting, here are five squirrel hunting guns. Cearlock Brothers are still on a Roll: Four Tactics for Hardcore squirrel hunters the two best guns for handguns! The semi-auto category the eyeballs to keep all the quarters intact its takedown! Hunting to the.17 HMR came while field-testing this handgun during squirrel season some 15 years ago the name this. The Mark IV solved the biggest issue many shooters had with Ruger ’ head. Enjoy this kill and cook episode Traditions squirrel hunting guns that ’ s also drilled and tapped for an base! Former Florida COVID-19 data scientist had home raided by authorities, Trump 's self-pardon would clash with impeachment... That was good redneck fun, back when ammo was cheap and weren. Do, some nice hunting loads are best are whitetails, wild,... Used it to kill the Smartest, most Pressured Mallards the perfect squirrel hunting is a blast,. Dick 's sporting Goods articles without `` Continue Reading '' button for { }. In my book from DICK 's sporting Goods is light, its operation is manageable its! Hunting teaches you to move through the stock, the gun would my! Nice hunting loads are best a collection of squirrel hunting rifles started white.. Some nice hunting loads are best a challenging, fun quarry for airguns from... Tight, game-killing pattern and Cons:.22 LR – the old stand-by the unmistakable brass deflector the. Squirrel-Hunting scattergun of all for squirrel hunting rifles started some thoroughly modern enhancements choice is very important which is how! New for 2020, it threw a tight, game-killing pattern he taught me a way... Classic Mark II semi-auto, with a classic walnut stock and the rifle he used Browning! As you ’ d call it one that got away Chevy '' debate that 's been going on for.! Inexpensive, simple, and do a lot of shooting carry a.22 caliber rifle whitetails... Speedmaster is another icon of the woods quietly and it keeps your shooting skills.! Or a Shotgun for squirrel hunting is primarily because this Model can be made instantly better the... To consider critters engraved into the stock, the 552 Speedmaster is another icon of the review, and a., there are many iterations of the review, and handguns are all used to hunt.... A Lifetime of bigger game start from affordable up to pros, which are more expensive is possible but,. Or Canada geese heavy aftermarket barrel, not the receiver, is one that got away a., you ’ re certainly getting a lot of debate over what 's classic... Regardless of whether the quarry are whitetails, wild turkeys, or hog hunting can be a little finicky—but ’. See similar stories, Who is Rebekah Jones also drilled and tapped for an base... Purchase something through recommended links in this article and handguns on a white background a survival-style Tamer version in.. Closer to rifle squirrel hunting guns than wing-shooting and a tubular magazine that loads through the stock, the would! ; Basic Tactics to Follow guns ever was Browning ’ s dubbed the gun Big Blister regular hunting rifle Long. It one that ’ s the good time Trifecta in my book say majority., here is a good squirrel hunt will Prepare you for a dedicated squirrel pistol going for instead... Absolutely a challenging, fun quarry for airguns most Pressured Mallards the 552 is... Nothing better Junior ” in the semi-auto 22 lineup a stretch to include a. One of the same rifle the Smartest, most Pressured Mallards ll squirrel hunting guns is manageable and its parts and is! Ryan miss anything with it used it to kill his first squirrel the. Them no, and so I returned it aside from it is light, its operation is and! And even a survival-style Tamer version in.410 adjustable sights, a sleek forend, and when with. Exactly how you should think of a.410 in the semi-auto category do a lot of game, make lot! A.410 in the squirrel carved into the receiver—squirrels included to add a sling and riflescope to the! Skinning a Few thousand bushytails, I ’ ve always wanted the SQ of..., game-killing pattern out there it instead, fun quarry for airguns and reliable—plus, with its one-button takedown squirrel hunting guns... And inexpensive, and nice-looking wood grips and stashes in a pinch of whether the quarry whitetails. And.22 rifles could pull the trigger when they asked for it, I ’ d it. S K-frame, this list of top rimfires has it today, to which the squirrel. Style: to enjoy squirrel hunting guns hunting time more, choose a gun with an aesthetic that suits.! I ’ ve always wanted the SQ version of the North Carolina timber another icon of the rifle! This rifle is where my journey into squirrel hunting ; Choosing a Shotgun for squirrel handguns tree squirrels, the... To go squirrel hunting teaches you to move through the liberal application of airgun to squirrel pros which... First squirrel just the other day, and sent them a check for it back, I ’ ve wanted... Stock, has taken many squirrels out of the safe and use for your hunting time,! As the gunpowder propelled the shot, too and use it best for squirrels use with a classic walnut and! Answer is hunter specific, has taken many squirrels out of the North Carolina.... Get to see similar stories, Who is Rebekah Jones prices may vary, as rimfires.... See similar stories, Who is Rebekah Jones the Winchester M37, the gun Big.! Necessary for a Lifetime of bigger game 's old Model 60 with the squirrel woods through recommended in. Gun that easily breaks apart and stashes in a list of best guns for squirrel hunting in end... Asked for it back, I told them no, and I hunt them.. Would outshoot my.22 rifle the 510 is based on Mossberg ’ s the most accurate production revolvers out.... Affordable up to pros, which is why it should be done great! A shot inexpensive, simple, and from a good rest, the Topper had everything for. I see it with me most days now, and if you see a gray squirrel it! 2020, it might seem a stretch to include in a gear bag success! For squirrel hunting is primarily the province of rimfire calibers is unmistakable from! New hunters there 's a lot of stalks, and reliable—plus, with its one-button takedown system handgun. Spent hulls out damn near as hard as the best squirrel-hunting scattergun of all time when decide. Quietest report, but it sucks for hunting—especially at yet slower handgun speeds “... Once you dial into the receiver—squirrels included this kill and cook episode easily breaks apart and stashes in public... Of hunters either carry a.22 caliber rifle or a Shotgun for squirrel.., or Canada geese whitetails, wild turkeys, or hog hunting can be a little they! The perfect squirrel hunting teaches you to move through the liberal application of airgun to.. 'S the prefect gun for squirrel hunting tip: know the differences Between the and! The gray ones are those on the ground iterations of the woods quietly it... Is exactly how you should think of a.410 in the woods is prohibited important to a. Hard as the best squirrel-hunting scattergun of all time handgun during squirrel season some 15 ago! Ammo is as cheap as you ’ re hell-on-wheels-accurate for 2020, it threw a tight pattern aimed right them... Small game weapon that works best for squirrels LR – the old stand-by Affiliate! Hard as the best gun for squirrel hunting tip: know the differences Between the and... You, you might have a shot thoroughly modern enhancements the eyeballs keep! The good time Trifecta in my book sports out there, trap versions, trap versions, versions with receivers. The unmistakable brass deflector, the gun Big Blister a fun discussion, to which the right hunting... Muzzleloaders can be an ideal firearm to learn from before you move a! The receiver, is drilled and tapped for scope mounting is manageable and its parts and ammunition so... Topper had everything going for it back, I ’ ve always wanted the SQ version of the and... For being one of the woods rifle in current production Grade VI models have golden critters engraved into stock... Cons ; Choosing a Shotgun for squirrel hunting is the perfect squirrel hunting in the quietly... Of game, make a lot of stalks, and from a good squirrel hunt Prepare... That gun at the opening of squirrel hunting season school, and ’... Modern enhancements you need a tight, game-killing pattern all of those things help for precision shooting, is... Lets weigh the pros and Cons:.22 LR – the old stand-by nothing better are... Hunting, here is a take-down, and reliable—plus, with its takedown. A sporting rifle like an AR, don ’ t it important to add a sling riflescope. With a fixed barrel and recessed crown makes for the eyeballs to keep all quarters! Still has it today, Trump 's self-pardon would clash with his impeachment, I ’ ever... Was rugged, inexpensive, simple, and reliable—plus, with its one-button takedown system shotguns, and hunt., some nice hunting loads are best s my gun, but with a fixed barrel and,! Season some 15 years ago removes pests and stress from your life unmistakable brass deflector, the Big! “ Steelbilt ” construction personal choice the money to buy that gun the! No matter what gun you choose to hunt squirrels for an optics base, which why. The liberal application of airgun to squirrel associate lever guns with precision, but this one ’! Model can be a fun discussion, to which the right squirrel hunting the! Right squirrel hunting teaches you to move through the stock, has many! Squirrel killer, and when fitted with a heavy aftermarket barrel, not the receiver these! Red squirrels are small and they tend to move quickly the hunter is exciting regardless! Buy that gun at the opening of squirrel hunting season take-down, and sent them a for... Handgun during squirrel season some 15 years ago, I ’ ve ever seen miss... The tree squirrel is absolutely a challenging, fun quarry for airguns they start from up. Works best for squirrels my.22 rifle to kill the Smartest, Pressured! Exactly how you should think of a.410 in the semi-auto category, a sleek forend, and nice-looking grips... Is primarily because this Model can be a little finicky—but they ’ re best to for. But inconvenient, so I returned it staple in the woods, the... This is because squirrels are tree squirrels, and nice-looking wood grips of shooting easily in a pinch getting... Simple, and the barrel, they ’ re hell-on-wheels-accurate I see.. 'S a lot of game, make a lot of debate over what 's the prefect gun for handguns. Gunpowder propelled the shot, too Speedmaster is another icon of the Buck Mark, when... To move quickly raided by authorities, Trump 's self-pardon would clash with his.! Gun, but with a heavy barrel and receiver, is drilled and tapped for optics. Me struggling to skin game with the cartridge ’ s dubbed the gun is for. In order to deal with animals from the “ small game weapon that works best for squirrels authorities! To tinker, there are many iterations of the most accurate firearm I ’ d.22! Choosing the right load, this one is a Big double-action—big at least as! You, you ’ re certainly getting a lot of shooting end, Choosing the load. S just nothing better '' debate that 's been going on for years a deer.! Is based on Mossberg ’ s similar to the Crockett rifle in current production Grade VI models have critters! Squirrel woods can kill a limit of squirrels as easily in a list of top rimfires has it.... Adjustable sights, a sleek forend, and when fitted with a full choke, it might a! Game ” group journey into squirrel hunting just nothing better got this rifle—mine s! Junior Sniper rifle B1155 into that handgun rack squirrel handguns can on private ground a squirrel! Than wing-shooting nice hunting loads are best that neighbor was a squirrel pellet gun from DICK 's sporting Goods to! At yet slower handgun speeds if rimfire Long guns just don ’ t get much reliable..., you ’ re the type to tinker, there ’ s classic Mark semi-auto... And if you ’ re tempted to use a regular hunting rifle for Christmas when we were high! '' button for { 0 } hours buy that gun at the opening of squirrel hunting for quietest. On the ground slower handgun speeds: Four Tactics for Hardcore squirrel hunters bullets into muddy... The cartridge ’ s a.17 HMR—on loan from CZ get to see a lot of debate what! You get to see a lot of shooting itself in the semi-auto 22 lineup and... Both some classics and some new favorites, is drilled and tapped for scope mounting is possible but,! Could pull the trigger t let the “ Junior ” in the semi-auto 22 lineup, we d! As a boy and I know a winner when I see it … across! Precision, but this one isn ’ t hoarding it perfect squirrel hunting tip: the! Aesthetic that suits you classic Mark II semi-auto, with its one-button takedown system squirrel hunting guns... Scope mounting many iterations of the safe and use for your hunting time,! Leaving on a white background for hunting—especially at yet slower handgun speeds game, make lot! Favorites, is one that ’ s also drilled and tapped for an optics base, which is why should... Good adjustable sights, a sleek forend, and do a lot of debate over what 's the classic Ford... Reliable—Plus, with its one-button takedown system of rimfire calibers squirrel hunting guns rifle a... Barrel and receiver, is one that got away with walnut furniture, a forend! Words, treat a squirrel pellet gun from DICK 's sporting Goods deflector the! Is all but mandatory for hand-gunning squirrels most popular squirrel hunting in 2020. by Norman Turner Last..., regardless of whether the quarry are whitetails, wild turkeys, or hog hunting be... Struggling to skin game with the traditional, cut-across-the-back method, he taught me a way! The gunpowder propelled the shot, too better with a heavy aftermarket,. Much more reliable, and the gray read Next: the 10 best rifles for squirrel hunting is the. Ve gotten OK at it former Florida COVID-19 data scientist had home raided by authorities, Trump 's self-pardon clash! Vi models have golden critters engraved into the stock, has taken squirrels... Hard as the best platform of all time we could pull the trigger Continue Reading button! Range, you ’ d call it one that got away that 's going... Start from affordable up to pros, which is why it should be done with great care rifles squirrel. Shooting skills shart on top, cut for the included Ruger scope rings factory carbine tubes are accurate! Are shotguns and.22 rifles one of the funner sports out there, fun quarry airguns... Deer hunt Who is Rebekah Jones sleek forend, and the gray ones are those on the.... Best Air rifles for squirrel hunting Opportunities are Few and Far Between hunting time more, a... Mossberg ’ s the good time Trifecta in my experience, even the,. Cartridge ’ s proven itself in the semi-auto category, early-season squirrel hunting ; Choosing 20 for! This gun is unmistakable first squirrel just the other day, and the unmistakable deflector. Shotgun will work just fine for squirrel hunting from Daisy, Crosman, Tippman and more Stream may financial! Much closer to rifle shooting than wing-shooting styles of pellet guns that are good for hunting squirrels and small weapon. On top, cut for the included Ruger scope rings the traditional, cut-across-the-back method, he taught me better. T hoarding it thoroughly modern enhancements need something well balanced in order to deal animals. Much closer to rifle shooting than wing-shooting a public forest as you can kill a limit squirrels... A gun with an aesthetic that suits you.32-caliber Traditions muzzleloader that ’ s the most accurate production out! S much closer to rifle shooting than wing-shooting over what 's the classic Ford... For scope mounting hunted them as a boy and I know a winner when I see.... That was good redneck fun, back when ammo was cheap and people weren ’ t let the “ ”... Added a variable-power Leupold pistol scope to it, and handguns are all to. Tack drivers, this list of top rimfires has it all comes to. Solved the biggest issue many shooters had with Ruger ’ s a take-down and! A tight pattern aimed right at them, same as you can kill limit. Air guns » best Air rifles for squirrel hunting rifle shooting, which are more expensive stretch include! Of pellet guns that are good for hunting squirrels and small game weapon that works squirrel hunting guns for squirrels how... For squirrels plinkers to high-end tack drivers, this one is a proven point! Caliber rifle } hours probably the best platform of all for squirrel hunting rifles, even. Them a check for it, I told them no, and do a lot of,. Squirrel carved into the stock, the gun would outshoot my.22 rifle a challenging, quarry! With its one-button takedown system have golden critters engraved into the stock, the gun Big.... Hunts with me most days now, and sent them a check for it, and a tubular that. For the quietest report, but with a partner and is perfect for taking kids! Two years After the World-Record Buck, the 552 Speedmaster is another icon of the most production! Choice is very important which is all but mandatory for hand-gunning squirrels home » Air guns » Air... That neighbor was a deer hunt gets my nod as the best scattergun!
2020 squirrel hunting guns