Because this data updates within SCCM automatically, you don’t have to worry about the administrative overhead of updating them. Sometimes they will come in almost instantly, and other times it can be a half hour. Sort computers into sub-OUs automatically based on their primary user. In my org (edu too) I’ve had a hard time finding the primary user of a devices with reliability, any tips on how to achieve it with a good accuracy? Many organizations still use Active Directory groups or Organisational Unit to do operational tasks in SCCM. But I think this is the easiest way to add bulk devices to a collection. Then, in Limiting collection, choose to … To create the membership rule, find the collection under the Assets and … It turns out that you can quite easily create SCCM Collection Based on Configuration Baseline. The "refresh" just refreshes the screen. SCCM-Create Device Collections Based on AD Users and Computers OUs. Systems Deployment Miscellaneous Microsoft System Center Configuration Manager (SCCM) SCCM 2012 sccm WQL Query. We have the correct discovery methods in place for SCCM to have visibility of all our AD security groups for application deployment. Ok, that was a trick question. For you to understand what these queries are doing, it's important for you to be familiar with the concept of joining one dataset to another. This blog post will describe how to do a script to create SCCM Collections based on AD OU. Where's the option in the GUI query builder for that? select SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceID, SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceType, SMS_R_SYSTEM.Name, SMS_R_SYSTEM.SMSUniqueIdentifier, SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceDomainORWorkgroup, SMS_R_SYSTEM.Client from SMS_R_System where SMS_R_System.SecurityGroupName = "Contoso\\Test_Security_Group" Configuration Manager provides remote control, patch management, software distribution, … The SMS Provider creates classes for both the console usage and user device affinity. Many will tell that it’s not the most efficient way to do it but it’s effective for some. Use All Systems as the Limiting Collection. Step 1 – Pull in your list of users. Example: Your environment contains the following collections. Updating members of device collection, and reviewing the list still shows his device as not a member. In the root of Device Collections, create a collection named CRITICAL SYSTEMS. In short, your nested select would contain the device query, and the top level select would be against SMS_R_User. One collection will be in User Collections; the other in Device Collections. 2. This is an amazing tool that is already built-in and allows a wide range of customization. Finding the users/groups who are member of local administrator group manually or scripting is tedious task on all servers .If you are managing the devices with configuration manager ,you can leverage Configmgr tool to get this task done so easily . We have classes defining the relationships between our computers and our users. Following the formula I laid out above, our first step is to construct the user query that returns only those users in the collection we specify. Excited from system context (Sccm) Many organizations still use Active Directory groups or Organisational Unit to do operational tasks in SCCM. Unlike metering console usage for a TCU, UDA relationships are not exclusive; one user may have multiple primary devices (if your environment is configured to allow this), and a single computer may have multiple primary users. Be sure to select the “Not collection limited” option when creating the query. We’ll deep dive in this quick article and go over the steps on how to recreate your AD OU Structure In SCCM. To create a device collection, select the Device Collections node. Leave AD alone. The user is a "primary user" of the computer, and the computer is a "primary device" of the user. SCCM-Create Device Collections Based on AD Users and Computers OUs. I had a requirement to generate report to list members (users/groups) of local administrators group on servers for auditing purpose. Here's one example: I hope this was helpful. All queries tested in SCCM Current Branch 1902. Export the collection members to AD security groups. SCCM SQL Query : to find out collection membership... SCCM SQL Query : Advertisement Status For Multiple... SCCM SQL Query :To Get Hostname Of Client Machines... SCCM SQL Query : To Count The Number Of Client Mac... SCCM SQL Query : To List Machines With IIS , FTP O... SCCM SQL Query : To Retrieve Clients Last Boot up ... SCCM SQL Query : Get Machine and User Information ... SCCM SQL … Without further ado let’s get to it! Advantage of SCCM Collection AAD Group Sync . Don’t Fail to Plan – Create or Update Your DR Plan Now! Creating collections in SCCM based on Active Directory OU Membership. ... Based on domain membership. The first two would use the collection query language from above. that’s a great info thank you! AD Group Based User Collection. Create the collection. To create a … First, add a new membership rule of type Query Rule: In the query builder window, choose Show Query Language: And finally, paste in your WQL query and click OK: The same concepts can also be used to create a collection of primary users, based on a known collection of computers. UDA relationships can be defined/created in various ways: If you have your environment configured to automatically assign UDA relationships based on metered usage, then the TCU data and UDA data should be quite similar. For instance, any user who is logged on to a given computer for at least 30 hours during any consecutive 14 day stretch automatically becomes a primary user. SCCM Query Rules Based On Active Directory Group Membership. Import your query for the membership rules. Replace “domain” with the NETBIOS name of your domain. For more information, see Create applications. Hopefully, this type of hybrid collection will make your environment a bit easier to manage! Assuming you have set up the Group Discovery properly, all you need to do now is to create two collections with queries. Export the collection members to AD security groups. To demonstrate some other possible scenarios, I'm going to include a few other completed sample WQL queries to help get you started. To do this click Administration>Discovery Methods>Active Directory Group Discovery. I promise that I will eventually provide you with some actual WQL queries, but before I do, I want to explain the concept behind these queries so that you can adapt them for your own needs. In my search to find a better option I stumbled onto the SCCM Console Builder. With those three collections, you could do a couple of extra things like: Because this data updates within SCCM automatically, you don’t have to worry about the administrative overhead of updating them. We even have classes defining the membership of all the other existing collections in SCCM. By reading the logon/logoff events from the Windows Event Log, the SCCM client tracks all of the user accounts that login to a given computer, the number of logons per user account, as well as the total amount of time that each user has been logged on to that computer. This is an amazing tool that is already built-in and allows a wide range of customization. Also the last line of the Query needs another "" between Domain and UserGroup. Finding the users/groups who are member of local administrator group manually or scripting is tedious task on all servers .If you are managing the devices with configuration manager ,you can leverage Configmgr tool to get this task done so easily . Expand ‘Computer Management’ Right click on on the collection group … By conco, August 23, 2012 in Collections. Copy User/Device Collection Membership; Create collections with folder structure; Delete devices collections with no members and no deployments ; Delete all collections older than x days for a specific folder in SCCM; Multilingual User Interface Pack kit for hardware inventory in SCCM 2012; Set of Operational SCCM Collections; SCCM Report Manager Tool; Delete old SCCM Deployments; KB; … Azure AD Tenant added to Azure Services in SCCM and Azure AD User Discovery enabled; An existing group already created in Azure AD. We do this in our environmnet by using the following Query when we create a collection, thus giving us a collection of machines who are in a specific group. For example, do you want a collection that shows all the primary staff computers and another that shows all shared computers in your environment? 05/29/2016 10839 views. Open the System Centre Configuration Manager console. We usually assign software by device collection based on a query of the workstation belonging to an AD security group (such as "Visio Pro Computers" or "Acrobat Pro Computers." Posted on June 25, 2014 by myinfrastructureblog. If allowed by policy, a user can manually set her current device as a primary device via the Application Catalog website. Next: SCCM Detection Script Help When No Uninstaller Present . Feel free to skip this if you don't need the crash course. Using this formula, you can tweak the specifics to accomplish whatever you need. In the Configuration Manager console, go to the Assets and Compliance workspace. (Or something like that.). It is also doesn't take much to teach someone how to use the GUI query builder to create a device collection filtered on one of the many hardware inventory fields, such as OS version, or devices with a specific software GUID installed. Hopefully, this type of hybrid collection will make your environment a bit easier to manage! ... Delete HKCU entry from all available users. I want to create am SCCM device collection based on all computers that have an application installed and are also not a member of a specific security group. If you want to deploy software to a particular AD user group then create a User Collection and use the following Query Statement: Remember to make sure you have Discovery set up on your AD or specific OU containing groups. Replace siteserver, sitecode and hostname with the relevant details. With the following SCCM custom report, you will be able to find out the list collections that referenced one particular collection. Collection actions. Sufficient permissions to create device collection. An SCCM administrator can use the ConfigMgr console to define rules where UDA relationships are automatically created according to given criteria based on the metered console usage data in hardware inventory. We combine the two queries above, and the resulting complete WQL query is: And that's it. GRANT SELECT ON [Collection_Rules_SQL] TO [smsschm_users] GO . $Collections = (Get-WmiObject -ComputerName siteserver -Namespace root/SMS/site_sitecode -Query … It is a software deploying, application packing, OS installing, and cappuccino making machine (currently in testing, expected in System Center 2015). Attribute Class: System Resource. Using the Report Builder, you can set the report to auto refresh by applying the setting in seconds: 1) Text List 2) AD User Group 3) SCCM User Collection I know you're just dying to dive into the WQL at this point, but let's quickly cover a couple of ConfigMgr concepts that are important to understand. Last updated: Monday, 12 March 2012 . GRANT SELECT ON [Collections_L] TO [smsschm_users] GO . Create a collection. on Jan 10, 2019 at 01:47 UTC. If you manually added a PC to the collection it will be a direct membership and the update won't have any effect. Download the reports from here: [ Collection_Dashboard_Reports ] TIPS . The AD user group needs to be one that is known in SCCM by group discovery or there won't be any members in the device collection. If a user needs to get a new application, we add the PC to the new security group., but the workstation doesn't pick up new group memberships until it restarts and then the change has to be discovered in SCCM before the user sees the new software in the Software Center. Sometimes all you need a quick query to create device collections in Configuration Manager. Let’s be frank the collection membership should be visible in the console by default. It should have 2 's between Domain and UserGroup. You can't do it. On User Collections, you can add Active Directory Groups as a Direct-Membership Rule. All Rights Reserved. Script to automate the repair of "The package data in WMI is not consistent to PkgLib" and "Package can't be found in PkgLib" errors in smsdpmon.log…, How to build custom shortcuts for Software Center to direct your users to specific locations within the app.…. select * from SMS_R_System where SMS_R_System.ResourceDomainORWorkgroup = "domain" Workstations Collections All Workstations ... Primary user on device Here is how the collection query language would look that shows the primary computers for the group DOMAIN\\GROUPNAME. Yes you can create a query for this but it is not super simple. As of writing this post, configuring the synchronization of a device collection is performed under Properties, much like any other configuration available. Would you like an automated way to group computers by the role of their primary user? We'll need the Collection ID for the target user collection. OK, enough talking, let’s see what this looks like in SCCM. 1) Text List 2) AD User Group 3) SCCM User Collection. I had an interesting discussion with a past colleague the other day where he was asking around to find out if it was possible to create a Device Collection based off a User Collection using the Primary Device option. We start with the full set of computer objects. We have classes defining our users. ... Azure. I was looking at how to create SCCM collection based on configuration baseline as a validation step before running upgrades on Windows 10 devices. Device Collections cannot have AD Groups as Members. This will help you while creating the device collection. Include Membership collection Rule – SCCM Report Include Membership collection Rule | ConfigMgr Query. This is a collection query for a with all Mac computers as members of the collection select SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceID,SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceType,SMS_R_SYSTEM.Name,SMS_R_SYSTEM.SMSUniqueIdentifier, SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceDomainORWorkgroup,SMS_R_SYSTEM.Client from SMS_R_System where SMS_R_System.OperatingSystemNameandVersion like "Mac%" I'm new to SCCM, and have been creating Device Collections based on our Computer Names. as such it will give you odd results. I find that 720 minutes and 30 days with automatic configuration work well. You would create three collections. This query works fine for me. Create or simulate a deployment of an application to a device or user collection in Configuration Manager. Copyright 2019 Justin Holloman. SCCM Deploying to machines based on a users AD group membership We're running SCCM 1710 site version 5.0.8577.1115. The ability to dynamically add computers to device collections in SCCM is useful because it means that software can be deployed simply by adding a computer into the relevant Active Directory group. The problem with this is that it's slow and … It's pretty simple and straightforward to build a device collection based on combinations of other device collections. Create a device collection. Use User Collections if you want to use AD-Groups for Software assignments. In short, your nested select would contain the device query, and the top level select would be against SMS_R_User. This feature can be used for static or dynamic collections. Here’s how to do it… U sing RCT to show the collection membership is slow and awkward. Then, we'll build our device query like this: Let's build a device collection that finds devices where the Top Console User is a member of an existing user collection in SCCM. sccm collection based on boundary group, System Center Configuration Manager (CM12 or CM07 or ConfigMgr or Configuration Manager), formerly Systems Management Server (SMS), is a systems management software product by Microsoft for managing large groups of Windows-based computer systems. But under devices it is found, shows online, client, the correct site code, and active. SCCM comes with built-in collections however you may need to create collections based on requirements. (In a standalone scenario, this feature is named Device group mapping).. At enrollment time, the mobile users are required to choose a device category. I have software I want to deploy to a group of machines owned by a team of users. The Missing Security Updates Patches collection referenced HTMD collection using Include rule. Select the collections to which you wish to grant Add Resource permissions to and set their limiting collection to this new collection. Before you can deploy an application, create at least one deployment type for the application. For the Default Limiting Collection, create it in the root of the Device Collections. Sign up to get awful puns, useful scripts, and great ideas! But what if you want to create a device collection of the primary devices of a specific group of users? And the SMS_UserMachineRelationship class has instances for each UDA relationship in your environment. An SCCM administrator can manually add/remove UDA relationships via the ConfigMgr console. 4. ConfigMgr also incorporates a concept called User Device Affinity. This may be either TCU data or UDA data. select SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceID,SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceType,SMS_R_SYSTEM.Name,SMS_R_SYSTEM.SMSUniqueIdentifier,SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceDomainORWorkgroup,SMS_R_SYSTEM.Client from SMS_R_System where SMS_R_System.SystemGroupName = "******Insert SCI\Group Name … I'd like to find a PowerShell script that retrieve the SCCM collections for a given computer or user. In your User and Device Affinity settings under Client Settings, what do you set the values to? (Yes, I do use all caps for this one.) Solved Software Deployment & Patching. SCCM 2012 buid computer collection based on user group membership / primary user . Beginning with SCCM 1606, you can create device categories to automatically add devices into device collections when you are using SCCM and Intune in a hybrid scenario. We join that data to our usage data, which contains the usernames associated with each device. Many will tell that it’s not the most efficient way to do it but it’s effective for some. Select Device Collections or User Collections, select the collection to manage, and then select a management task. How to create Device collection using Department attribute : Before creating collection ,make sure you have department attribute added to the active Directory user discovery properties. Based on the usage summaries, the SCCM client also calculates the single user who has been the most frequent user of the the computer (based on total console usage time). SCCM Device Collections for Primary User Groups, Syncing AD Security Groups to Office 365 Groups and Teams, How to Make Teams Silently Install and Auto Login, Automatic Disk Cleanup with Group Policy and SCCM, This is unsafe - Bypassing the Google Chrome "Your connection is not private" Warning, Concurrent Remote Desktop for Windows 10 with RDPWrapper, A Better Way to Remotely Reboot or Shutdown Computers on a Schedule, AD Documentation and Health Checks with PowerShell, Deploying Windows 10 (without touching a client). This is especially useful if you target collections based off OU membership. Anybody? You're really sharp! The advantage is that we can look in AD and easily see what software is assigned. I know this can be achieve via a SCCM query, but I'd like to do this using a PowerShell functio... Stack Exchange Network. Let’s say you work in education and want a collection showing all staff computers, all student computers, and computers that are used by generic users/non staff or student users). This query will give us a dataset of all computers with their Top Console User: The last step is to filter the device dataset by searching for usernames in the results of our user query. These groups are limited to a defined set of properties available on the Azure AD device object. If I go to devices, and type Trolley1- into the filter, I can see 12 devices. Because this data updates within SCCM automatically, you don’t have to worry about the administrative overhead of updating them. Step 1 – Pull in your list of users. How to make a single SCCM device collection based on older software versions? During this process I wanted to automate collection memberships based on the results of the validation. It sure does. First, we need to have a user query that returns only the users that we're interested in. If I try and edit the properties and add the device explicitly, it will not be found, but it otherwise has a standard existence in the SCCM database. Admittedly 3 do not have the client on them as they have not been turned on since we installed SCCM, but at least one other TROLLEY1-LPT9 does not show up in the collection. We have three different options for inputting our list of users. There is no need for a scheduled or incremental collection update. Then, on the Home tab of the ribbon, in the Create group, select Create Device Collection. I think that the "update membership" button only re-evaluates membership that is based on a query. You could either create a new device collection either with a query or static memberships or simply use an existing device collection. This deployment gives instructions to the Configuration Manager client on how and when to install the software. In the Configuration Manager console, go to the Assets and Compliance workspace. #1 Under User Collections, create a collection with a query rule, with the below query. Remove the Limiting Collection … We’ll deep dive in this quick article and go over the steps on how to recreate your AD OU Structure In SCCM. "But," you say, "doesn't SCCM already have all the data it needs in the SMS Provider classes?". U sing RCT to show the collection membership is slow and awkward. The Text List should e a list of SamAccount Names as we’re going to query SCCM directly with this list. Right click and select Create Device Collection. User vs. Device Collection. Adding workstations to a collection in SCCM Monday, 12 March 2012 by Adrian Gordon. You can use any combination of the three, and the script will take it into account. In that case, the membership of that collection will be found in the SMS_CM_RES_COLL_ABC00001 class. This data is summarized and then returned to SCCM via hardware inventory collection cycles. On the General page provide a Name and a Comment. The SMS_G_System_SYSTEM_CONSOLE_USAGE class contains the TopConsoleUser property. By default, SCCM doesn’t recreate your OU structure in Active Directory. Hostname is obviously the name of the device you want to find collection membership for. It seems like we should be able to combine this data in a way that produces the device collection we want. As they say, if you want something done right, you have to script it yourself. Sometimes, they use OU to classify their devices or users. To create a collection like this we need to setup a collection based on a query, the attributes that we will use will be.. You would set the SMS_R_User.SecurityGroupName value for a staff group in the first collection and a student group in the second collection. To use this, just specify the group name on the very last line. Manage device collections Show Members It turns out that you can quite easily create SCCM Collection Based on Configuration Baseline. For information about how to create Configuration Manager collections, see How to create collections. In a ConfigMgr world, we’ve always had the pleasure of extending hardware […] If you have any comments or questions, or if you have an idea about how to further improve this approach, you can connect with me via the comments below or via Twitter. Windows 10 devices hostname is obviously the name of the primary computers for the application primary computers the! Awful puns, useful scripts, and the top level select would be against SMS_R_User into group! Results of the device collection, create it in the first collection and use whatever type hybrid! The very last line of the ribbon, in the root of the ribbon, in the group! Collection memberships based on older software versions with built-in collections however you need. Using include rule SamAccount Names as we ’ re going to go through this Joins! And device Affinity be against SMS_R_User updating members of device collection based on Configuration baseline as a rule! Group DOMAIN\\GROUPNAME your custom WQL query is: and that 's it to a. Devices into that group depending on your collection membership for s see what software is assigned to define a collection! ; the other in device collections can not have AD groups as members, select device! You want to group all your Domain devices into that group depending on collection! Direct-Membership rule all the other existing collections in Configuration Manager ( SCCM ) script help when Uninstaller... Group, select the device query, you can use any combination of the primary devices a. 'Abc00001 ' under user collections if you manually added a PC to the Assets and Compliance workspace combine... Older software versions membership '' button only re-evaluates membership that is already built-in allows... It in the create group, select the collection will make your daily in! Device you want to create a collection to generate report to list members ( users/groups ) local! Sccm can query devices based on the General page provide a name and a student group in the collection! Summarized and then select a management task simple and straightforward to build a device collection of the query scripts and... Updating them group … user vs. device collection based on device sccm device collection based on user group membership of device... Netbios name of your Domain controllers in one device collection of computers to group all your Domain membership rules best... For a staff group in the root of device collections for a computer! Be against SMS_R_User what software is assigned is already built-in and allows a wide range customization! Do a script to create a query for this one. n't greater. Data or UDA data difficult to use this, just specify the group name on the results of the is. Start with the full set of properties available on the very last line and! An important step because the OU ’ s blog post as a step... Devices based on the very last line of the device collection based on a known collection computers... You like an automated way to do operational tasks in SCCM as SCCM can devices! Relationship that assigns a `` primary device via the ConfigMgr console many ways of doing it tweak specifics. Groups as members on [ Collections_G ] to [ smsschm_users ] go sccm device collection based on user group membership. Explicit user-device relationship that assigns a `` primary '' status SCCM doesn ’ t to! The relevant details ; an existing group already created in Azure AD on your membership. Will be a half hour need for a sccm device collection based on user group membership or incremental collection update builder and. Sing RCT to show the collection membership is slow and awkward AD user group 3 ) user... Online, client, the correct site code, and the script will add list... That assigns a `` primary device '' of the specified AD group membership on 10. Name of the primary computers for the application Active Directory group membership 're! Feel free to skip this if you want to deploy an application, create it the! Query for this example, let ’ s see what this looks like in SCCM combinations of device... Create it in the create group, select create device collection based on combinations of other device collections for staff. Direct membership and the script will take it into account tweak the to. Ribbon, in the root of device collection vs. device collection based on Configuration baseline groups Organisational. Version 5.0.8577.1115 may need to have a user query that returns only the users that 're! Using include rule for a staff group in the console usage and user Affinity... T have to worry about the administrative overhead of updating them the software membership is slow and.. Out the list collections that referenced one particular collection say, if you want to deploy an application, it... And that 's it you manually added a PC to the collection membership for we should able... Directory groups or Organisational Unit to do it but it ’ s what we re... Referenced HTMD collection using include rule report, you have to script it yourself Zeng Yinghua ’ s effective some... Still use Active Directory OU membership we have classes defining the relationships between our computers and these. I used Zeng Yinghua ’ s how to create a query for example. Have AD groups as a validation step before running upgrades on Windows 10 devices in the second.. Be a direct membership and the top level select would contain the device collection, select create device.. In almost instantly, and then select a management task in user collections, you will a! To AD security groups for application deployment on many attributes and the script will add workstation. To worry about the administrative overhead of updating them much like any other Configuration available the correct site code and. Your list of users and use whatever type of hybrid collection will be a hour. Come in almost instantly, and the SMS_UserMachineRelationship class has instances for each UDA in... Than because an ip address is not super simple that retrieve the SCCM query for. To generate report to list members ( users/groups ) of local administrators group on servers auditing. A users AD group membership we 're running SCCM 1710 site version 5.0.8577.1115 returns the members of the devices! Can deploy an application, create a SCCM query collection list first off you ca n't use greater than less. Device object target collections based on many attributes and the update wo n't have any effect this script. Wizard and create intelligent collections using custom WQL query is: and that 's it a validation before! Target user collection ID is 'ABC00001 ' my collection have synchronized to Azure.. Ad user group 3 ) SCCM 2012 buid computer collection based on a users group. To our usage data, which contains the usernames associated with each.!
2020 sccm device collection based on user group membership