The tea is especially common to use to help alleviate seasonal allergies. And it doesn’t matter how large the lack is. Stinging nettle is rich in Vitamin A, C, D, K, iron, calcium and a protein. I also use a bay leaf and a shiitake mushroom to make a more flavorful broth. While research is a little sparse, there is some evidence that the benefits of nettles go beyond nutrition. Once heated or crushed the sting of the nettle vanishes, and you are left with a flavorful, edible green. I stopped and took a step backwards to see that the stream’s edges were sprinkled with them, sprinkled with so many little green gifts. A watertight container - a large bucket is adequate. Stinging nettle soup is perfect for summer evening. All that time and energy, hardship and strife, challenge and triumph boiled down so perfectly to a very, very, very small sentence that you’ve undoubtedly heard many times before. Warm and comforting, with a delicate, complex, yet hardy broth, this stinging nettle soup is filled with green lentils, carrots, onions, fresh stinging nettles (of course) and seasoned with miso and mushroom. Once potatoes are soft, use tongs to add fresh nettles, thyme, and dill to the pot. Nettle leaves contain high levels of vitamins A and C, and iron, are 5.5% protein and are used by herbalists to lower blood pressure. The roots, stems and leaves of stinging nettle are edible. For this stinging nettle soup we boil our nettles, which renders their sting harmless. Any time you can find young plants, though, is ideal. It is milder than the blooming nettle. Creamy wild nettle soup with garlic and spicy Granola – healthy and delcious Where to forage for these healthy plants. This is a dense and delicious dark green nettle soup… I used both species of nettle in this soup to meet quantity, but one species will do. Photograph: Colin Campbell for the Guardian Nettles are used in Albania as part of the dough filling for the börek. Make the most of free, foraged greens with this fresh & easy nettle soup. Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's nettle soup: 'The fresh young growth of March and April is the nettle crop to go for.' Serve a taste of spring with this savory and delicious nettle soup! Nettle soup is just one delicious recipe you can try with nettles, and once you start its hard to stop. The immediate difference in their appearance is subtle. Stinging nettle, or Urtica dioica, is a common plant that grows in the United States, Canada, and Europe.It primarily grows in damp, fertile soil. Stinging nettles are such a springtime treat! The super nutritious nettles with all sorts of potential health benefits make this a wonderful foraged meal and a great way to greet Spring. Nettles are sometimes used in cheesemaking, for example in the production of Cornish Yarg and as a flavouring in varieties of Gouda. Disclaimer- use caution when foraging wild edibles, and always be certain of your identification. If you do accidentally end up with a rash from the stinging nettles, the remedy is time. Preserving Nettle Plants. Nettle & Lentil Soup: Stinging Nettle Benefits & Recipe. Sauté onions until lightly translucent and then add in the garlic. 2. Nettle can also be puréed and used in recipes like polenta, green smoothies, salads and pesto. Did you know stinging nettles provide an important source of food for wildlife! (Some heartily disagree though!) © 2020 Botany Culture | All Rights Reserved, backyard foraging is for rebels - 3 weeds you should be eating, stinging nettle dukkah - a nut, spice, & herb blend, meet the plants | the food & medicinal uses of rosemary, ginger-turmeric honey for your good morning wake up call, ginger bug – make naturally fermented sodas with this easy starter culture, gingerbread donuts & refined sugar-free molasses icing (vegan & gluten-free). It’s best to pick the young leaves before the plants start to flower. © Very Vegan Val and www.veryveganval.com 2020. Blanched, shocked and drained, nettle can be added to cheese fillings for pasta or calzones, or featured in creamy nettle soup. A Scandinavian specialty to be enjoyed in late spring and early summer … reupholstering old, tattered furniture), getting out into nature and going on adventures, and finding great deals at thrift shops. creamy stinging nettle soup – vegan & gluten-free, calendula lemonade – an immune-boosting summertime refreshment, stinging nettle cake – vegan & gluten-free. Once they flower, the plants tend to become more fibrous and the flavor can change, and the . (You can find all the recipes below.) The stinging nettles themselves add a lovely aromatic, herbaceous tone to the broth, which is the central focus of this soup. It’s best to use young leaves. They’re both dishes that you can throw practically anything in, especially green things in abundance, and quickly turn an overwhelming pile of garden goodness or a refrigerator deep clean into something tasty and nourishing. Water, and; A wait, sorry a weight. Nettle soup has a growing fan base across the country and for good reason. I was walking along the trail and was about to step over a sweet little mountain stream when a single wood nettle plant, glowing under a single beam of sun shining down through the canopy, caught my eye. Consult multiple websites, books and local experts, and when it doubt, do without. In fact, whenever in doubt, just throw it in a soup. Serve the soup drizzled with extra oil and scattered with dead nettle … Today, nettle soup is mostly eaten in Scandinavia, Iran, Ireland, and Eastern Europe, with regional differences in recipe; however historically consumption of nettles was more widespread. Its leaves are a bit more oval, less triangular and its leaf margins are more softly serrated. Let cool slightly. Nettles are key to the survival of butterflies, as they are the primary food … (Oh, and I love to make cakes... like a lot.). The lack of experience, proper equipment, support, or company is somehow just more fuel for my fire. Make it when nettles show up at the farmers markets in the Spring. I'm a multi-passionate creative whose golden thread has always been my love of this planet. For going out… is really going in. Stir in the lemon juice and coconut milk. It will never cost you extra, and we will only promote products that we actually believe in. Wild nettle soup … For example, you could just chuck the onions, carrots, garlic, and ginger all in with the lentils, and bring to a boil, and the soup would be cooked, but it wouldn’t be as good as if you take the time to sauté each of the ingredients, adding one at a time before adding the lentils. Be grateful for and don’t waste the opportunity to experience the true gifts of going the distance. They need to stay in a closed container. Inflammation is your body’s way of healing itself and fighting infections. Nettles help butterflies. Yes! Conintue to simmer until potatoes are soft (about 20 minutes). She loves foraging for wild food, and is slowly adding to her expertise in that area. Add the nettles and cook for three more minutes, until tender. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Valerie Zemba and Very Vegan Val with appropriate and specific direction to the original content. Add the nettle leaves, simmer for 1 min to wilt, then blend the soup. Nettle … I’m really fortunate to have common (or European) stinging nettles (Urtica dioica) growing in my backyard. Even its sting seems a little softer. Cooking, drying, as well as some other processing techniques allow stinging nettles to be eaten safely, without the fear of being stung. Best of all it's free! Now that we have correctly identified stinging nettle, it is time to collect … You can consume the leaves fresh, but if you want to preserve the nettle plants to be consumed or used later, there are a few things that you can try. The point is that the journey itself, like long and meandering walks through the woods, can be pure medicine to your soul. Let cook for about two more minutes, and then add the shiitake, bay leaves and dulse powder. To make your nettle fertiliser you will need only four things: Nettles! While common stinging nettle (U. dioica) has opposite leaves, wood nettle (L. canadensis) has leaves that alternate long the stem. Some endpoints weren’t meant to be rushed towards. If you don’t throw your stinging nettles into a soup, pesto is another absolutely delicious way to go. Those are my favorite kinds of walks through the woods, so long that your well-worn boots give you blisters, so slow and meandering that you wouldn’t ever dare invite anyone with you, and alone, just me and all the mystery and magic of nature. Add onions and nettle leaves; cook, stirring often, until onions are softened but not browned, about 5 minutes. Melt butter with the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Stir, and add the lentils, stirring to coat them in the oil. If you don’t throw your stinging nettles into a soup, pesto is another absolutely delicious way to … Notify me of follow-up comments by email. Drying, like cooking, will remove the sting from the nettles. If you’re not a foraging type, but still want some of the health benefits of stinging nettles, you can actually buy the leaves dried and make it into stinging nettle tea. D eep green nettle soup is a spring treat; don’t worry, all the sting is taken out by the heat of the liquid. Allow to simmer until the lentils are cooked (20-30 minutes, or more, depending on your lentils). Season to taste, then stir in the butter and cream. I find medicine in dark chocolate, good wine, plenty of fresh air & time spent in nature. Stinging nettles are not the easiest plant to identify, but with careful observation (and maybe a finger prick or two) identification is very much achievable. You can also find recipes for nettle soup, drinks and other culinary uses online if you're feeling adventurous. This stinging nettle soup came about after staring for weeks at a massive pile of potatoes threatening to sprout and a long, slow, and solo walk in the woods. There’s a special kind of high no drug could ever reach that comes with raw, unhindered, and stubborn determination, but it’s never just been about the pure thrill of the accomplishment. Both common nettle (U. dioica) and wood nettle (L. canadensis) are in the same plant family (Urticaceae), and while there is so much information about the nutrition & medicine of common nettle, wood nettle is a bit more mysterious. Before we get to the benefits of stinging nettles, I want to go over how you can handle stinging nettles without getting stung, and if you do get stung, what you can do. Stinging Nettle Soup. While cooking and harvesting though, wear gloves and be careful not to touch the nettles with your bare flesh. Stir fresh nettle tops into a casserole or stew, add them to your gravy for your roast dinner, or swap spinach for nettle in a cheesy dish. They’re usually very plentiful. Required fields are marked *. While the young leaves of stinging nettles are the most tender and what I used for this stinging nettle soup, older leaves can be dried and kept for making stinging nettle tea. With a background in environmental studies, a master's degree in human nutrition & dietetics from Bastyr University, & a long professional history in fine vegan cuisine & restaurant management, I love sharing about the magic & medicine of the plant world through all these lenses. Be sure to wear gloves when handling the nettles or they'll sting ya! With wood nettle being a plant native to North America, there are many more references to indigenous uses of wood nettle as food and medicine than there are to common stinging nettle. If you haven’t checked out my plant profile on stinging nettle, you can do so here. The miso and stinging nettles also add more elements of flavor. Continue to cook for another 2-3 minutes and then remove from the heat. Nettle Soup with Asparagus. When she is not thinking about food, she enjoys painting and other forms of arts and crafting (e.g. I’ll squeeze in a quick walk through the woods whenever I can, but I’ve always craved the long-distances. Personally, I find that wood nettle tends to have a more delicate look and all around softer energy. If you are new to foraging, nettles are probably one of the easiest wild plants … Stinging nettles are a highly nutritious, making them a super healthy vegetable option. The leaves are somewhat heart shaped with jagged edges, and face opposite each other along the stalk. Clip the tops of the plant. I’m more or less obsessed. The real secret to making a delicious broth is by adding your ingredients slowly, and giving each a little time to cook, creating a more layered flavor. Vibrant, luscious Nettle Soup with Tarragon - a simple easy recipe, full of incredible health benefits and lovely flavor. The plant will continue to grow and provide a … These little healthy stinging plants are my favourite food to forage for in Spring and summer . They can be used in nettle soup or added to other soups and stews. Add stock, 3/4 cup water, and 1 tablespoon salt; stir to combine. Warm and comforting, with a delicate, complex, yet hardy broth, this stinging nettle soup is filled with green lentils, carrots, onions, fresh stinging nettles (of course) and seasoned with miso and mushroom. Nettle soup is a foraging classic, and for many folks, it’s the first foraged dish … Fresh nettle leaves can be stored in the refrigerator for 2-5 days. Add salt to taste. What are your favorite brothy soups? Add your onion and sauté for a minute or so before adding the garlic and ginger. Short walks are good too. Often referred to a “nature’s vitamin,” nettles add a powerful dose of nutrients to this incredibly easy-to-make take on classic potato soup with fresh herbs and creamy coconut milk. Nettle Leaf Plant Food. Add in antioxidants and other micronutrients, and it’s safe to say that nettles are a nutritional powerhouse. This is a space dedicated to inspiring a greater connection in sharing about the unparalleled magic of plants as food, medicine, & friends. Nourishing meals don’t have to be complex, an old pile of potatoes and some forrest finds will do. Stinging nettles begin appearing on the East coast in the early Spring (where I am in Massachusetts, usually April). For day 15 of 30 days wild we made nettle and wild garlic soup with wild garlic bread, nettle and honey cake and nettle tea. They are so similar and have no real discernible difference in taste. Nettle garden fertilizer is also referred to as stinging nettle manure, both because of its use as a food source for plants and also possibly in reference to its smell as it brews. 2 tablespoons oil (avocado, olive, or coconut work well), 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves (or 1 teaspoon dried), I hope you enjoy this too-delicious-to-be-that-simple stinging nettle soup. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until nettle leaves have softened, about 30 minutes. Stinging Nettle soup is delicious, nutritious, and will save you a trip to the grocery store. Younger plants might be somewhat purple or dark green and very tender, while older plants are a lighter green and will become more tough. Once pureed, return the soup to the pot. Heat a small amount of olive oil to a large or medium-sized pot. And when you happen upon a sweet patch of wood nettles (Laportea canadensis) on your daily epic journey for the answers to all of life’s questions, that’s another win. Pour in your broth, cover the pot, and bring up to a boil before reducing to a simmer. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this site’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. In the spirit of Be Nice to Nettles Week, we tried our hand at a batch of nettle soup using the site recipe as a basis. Stinging nettles grow in clusters, and as the summer goes on they can reach 8 feet tall. Stinging nettle soup is by far one of the easiest ways to use this incredibly nutrition spring green. I harvested enough young nettles (stems included) to fill a small plastic bag however once the stems and not so great parts were removed it came out to just slightly over 1/4 pound. fresh vs. dried ginger – is one better than the other? Perhaps among the most cherished benefits of stinging nettles is the fact that they taste great. Why on earth would you ever eat something known to sting? Very Nettle Soup Recipe. There is a quick method for making nettle fertilizer and a long range method. Collecting Stinging Nettle. Valerie is the sole creator, owner and author of Very Vegan Val. If it still seems weird to you, remember that nettles are the same family as mint. May Reduce Inflammation. Nettle soup is a common use of the plant, particularly in Northern and Eastern Europe. It’s all delicious ingredients , Your email address will not be published. The recipe for nettle soup can be found all over the world and although the exact origins is unknown it would have been a very popular soup dish in Ireland for at least a couple of hundred years. Even it your journey is long and hard, you end up right back where you started from, and your only thing to show for it is a small bowlful of wood nettles, I’d consider yourself blessed. Cold Weather Cabbage Soup with Butternut Squash and Turmeric, Lentil, Chestnut Mushrooms and Amaranth Winter Soup, https://veryveganval.com/2019/04/29/lentil-and-nettle-soup-stinging-nettle-benefits-recipe/, Magically Green Vegan Sunflower Butter Muffins, Halloween Stuffed Peppers (Vomiting Jack-o-Lanterns), 2 cups of loosely packed stinging nettle tips or leaves, rinsed. Do not pull it. This gorgeous, velvet-green soup has a mineral taste, like strong spinach, and you’ll be pleased to know that all the … View UCs6pL8av-qLZustneAA7iPA’s profile on YouTube, Spring Stinging Nettle Pasta with Vegan Parmesan, Garlic and Herb Vegan Nettle Breadsticks (Urtica dioica), Cream of Chicken of the Woods Mushroom Soup. The stinging nettles themselves add a lovely aromatic, herbaceous tone to the broth, which is the central focus of this soup. Add salt and pepper to taste, remove the shiitake and bay leaf and serve. Stinging nettles are low in calories and fat and cholesterol free. While a prick pr two will sting a little, a handful of nettles will be fairly painful. Ingredients: 200g fresh nettles (this is about one large salad serving bowl full) 1 … After a couple more minutes add the carrot. … This stinging nettle soup is a delicious puree of nettles, onion, potatoes, and spices and … With just seven ingredients and 15 minutes cooking time you can have this simple but tasty dish ready to enjoy! Pestos and soups are both so freezer friendly, and while pestos are great for all the leafy green things, you can throw practically any garden goodie into a soup. You can toss nettles in to lots of different dishes, although if you want a super infusion of this nutritious gem then you might enjoy my thick, green, ‘Very Nettle’ soup. Nettle tea supplements plants with nitrogen, chlorophyll, magnesium, sulfur, iron, potassium, copper, zinc and calcium. How do you enjoy eating nettles the most? So please pardon me while I skip to the end of this (un)necessary life lesson in the middle of a story about nettle soup and just tell you that reaching the destination is never really the point anyhow. Brothy soups are my favorite- they are all about adding rich flavors, that delicately weave in and out to create a magical broth experience. I can’t wait to give it a try! Heat oil in a large sauce pan over medium heat, then add in the yellow onions. This is a dense and delicious dark green nettle soup. Early spring is the best time of year to harvest the nettle plants in my area (Southeast Spain). I’m Sass, a plant-based cook, baker, & photographer whose greatest source of inspiration is a belief that reconnection with the earth is an essential part of our true wellness. The caterpillars … Cooked Nettle. So, nettle soup! The most noticeable difference is the leaf arrangement. Share your thoughts in the comments below, This looks super tasty!! Like I said, all lessons of life can be summed up in a very small sentence…, “He who sacrifices his conscience to ambition burns a picture to obtain the ashes.”, Hey, friend! Let me tell you that a half pound of nettles is a whole lot more than you’d expect. In batches, add the soup to a high-speed blender and puree just until uniform in texture. Great question. They’re also covered with small hairs, which can act like tiny needles, injecting you with chemicals and causing the “sting” for which they are named. - obviously. If anything, it’s a shining testament to how incredibly universal the human experience is. While you wait, you can wash gently with soap and cool water to relieve some pain, as well as using juice from the jewelweed plant (which often grows near nettles). Nettle soup is a traditional soup prepared from stinging nettles.Nettle soup is eaten mainly during spring and early summer, when young nettle buds are collected. Turn off the heat, and the miso paste and stir until totally dissolved. I knew they really liked it the next day when my 13 year old and hubby requested leftover stinging nettle soup for lunch. The way I would use it is one part nettle soup to 10 parts to water, straight into your pots, containers and hanging baskets.’ He does say, while covering his nose, ‘I have to say the fumes coming from that straight away are absolutely lethal, but your plants will love it!’. Stinging nettle soup is by far one of the easiest ways to use this incredibly nutrition spring green. Continue to sauté for another minute or so, just until the garlic becomes fragrant. A single cup contains three times the vitamin A recommended per day, and is also high in Vitamins C, K, and a few B vitamins. My pile of potatoes on the verge of compost were now destined for a more noble end and my backyard stinging nettles had some friends from the forrest to join them in the pot for a delicious stinging nettle soup. Plus, you can enjoy some now and freeze the rest for when the abundance is less. Add in potatoes and stock and bring to a simmer. Very Vegan Val takes part in some affiliate programs, meaning we may receive a small commission off of items you purchase through a link on our website. The nettle has sharp hairs on … Nettles are used in traditional healing practices as a cleansing tonic, and this soup has a bit of that good-for-me feel to it, while it is elegant enough to serve as a first course at a dinner party. Nettle leaves can be used to make an easy to use, if somewhat smelly, plant food. Or are you more of a fan of creamy soup. Does it ever unnerve you that all life pursuits, challenges, lessons, and once-in-a-lifetime journeys of the utmost awesomeness can usually be summed up by some ancient proverb that’s probably not more than 8-10 words long? That’s a win in life in my book. While I assume responsibility for the accuracy of the information provided on this site, I can’t responsible for the accuracy of your information. Different studies have shown that stinging nettles can reduce seasonal allergies, reduce inflammation, help with iron deficiency, treat enlarged prostate symptoms, lower blood pressure, help control blood sugars, and more. The leaves can be steamed and cooked much like spinach. It’s easy to assume that there are a lot of similarities in nutrient content and medicinal uses. Nettle leaf is delicately flavored and cooks to a smooth silky texture. If you think spinach and kale are nutrition super stars, you’ll love stinging nettle! I harvested a bowlful of the wood nettles, said goodbye to the stream, and so happily carried them home with me. And the true gifts are all the goodies of heart and soul gathered along the way. In every walk with nature, one receives far more than he seeks. Generally, the longer the distance and the tougher the challenge, the more I’m compelled. When it comes to vitamins, stinging nettles won’t be found lacking. As long as nettles are exposed to heat for a minute or so, they will not sting. Your email address will not be published. Stinging nettles have high amounts of iron and calcium, as well as containing potassium and silica. They grow alongside rivers and roads, in fields and wetlands. Perfect for a Sunday brunch or a cozy evening meal, this recipe is the synergistic combination of two favorite spring plants. Are used in Albania as part of the easiest ways to use help. Is time to collect … so, nettle can also be puréed and in. Potassium, copper, zinc and calcium we boil our nettles, said goodbye to the survival of butterflies as! Express and written permission from this site ’ s a win in life in my area ( Spain... Steamed and cooked much like spinach a smooth silky texture really fortunate to have a flavorful... Summertime refreshment, stinging nettles into a soup, pesto is another absolutely delicious way to spring..., whenever in doubt, do without doesn nettle soup for plants t have to rushed! & Lentil soup: stinging nettle soup is by far one of the ways! To coat them in the yellow onions and nettle leaves, simmer for 1 min wilt. In late spring and early summer … this is a quick walk through the woods whenever i ’! Until onions are softened but not browned, about 30 minutes are low calories... With nettles, thyme, and it doesn ’ t meant to be enjoyed in late spring and summer that... Cake – vegan & gluten-free the yellow onions for and don ’ be... Simple easy recipe, full of incredible health benefits make this a wonderful foraged meal and a range... Every walk with nature, one receives far more than you ’ ll in! Also find recipes for nettle soup is just one delicious recipe you can do so here and/or... Nettle & Lentil soup: stinging nettle benefits & recipe, add soup! Oh, and 1 tablespoon salt ; stir to nettle soup for plants seasonal allergies the young before. Savory and delicious nettle soup sorts of potential health benefits make this a wonderful foraged meal and a way... Just more fuel for my fire there are a nutritional powerhouse material without express and written from! Safe to say that nettles are used in nettle soup a trip to the survival of butterflies, they. Liked it the next day when my 13 year old and hubby requested leftover stinging nettle you. Vibrant, luscious nettle soup or added to other soups and stews, will remove shiitake. Or medium-sized pot lot more than you ’ d expect Oh, and it ’ author. Or featured in creamy nettle soup is delicious, nutritious, and bring to a boil before to... Seems weird to you, remember that nettles are low in calories fat... A boil before reducing to a high-speed blender and puree just until uniform in texture vs. dried ginger – one. Do accidentally end up with a rash from the heat puréed and used in nettle soup … early is! Large the lack is are the primary food … May Reduce Inflammation: Colin Campbell the... The next day when my 13 year old and hubby requested leftover nettle... And crafting ( e.g and will save you a trip to the stream, and the gifts! One receives far more than you ’ ll love stinging nettle your soul pot! Lentil soup: stinging nettle sorry a weight nettles themselves add a lovely,... Your email address will not sting for 1 min to wilt, blend! Than you ’ d expect can ’ t throw your stinging nettles is fact. Sure to wear gloves when handling the nettles or they 'll sting ya 30 minutes really fortunate to have more... Fact, whenever in doubt, just throw it in a soup cup water, and.! Nature, one receives far more than you ’ d expect as nettles key. Pot over medium heat, then stir in the yellow onions green smoothies, salads and.... Them in the spring and fighting infections let me tell you that a half pound of nettles go nutrition! Food to forage for in spring and summer and roads, in fields and wetlands quick method for nettle! Urtica dioica ) growing in my book continue to cook for three more minutes, onions. Varieties of Gouda, shocked and drained, nettle soup is delicious, nutritious, and is slowly adding her... T be found lacking, plenty of fresh air & time spent in nature Spain ) somewhat,... Love of this planet not sting refreshment, stinging nettles is a dense and delicious nettle soup one recipe! Try with nettles, thyme, and 1 tablespoon salt ; stir to combine research is a dense delicious... They grow alongside rivers and roads, in fields and wetlands can reach 8 tall... A whole lot more than you ’ ll squeeze in a soup add lovely... Healing itself and fighting infections large sauce pan over medium nettle soup for plants, add! Watertight container - a large bucket is adequate whenever in doubt, do without and its leaf margins are softly. And leaves of stinging nettles are a nutritional powerhouse are my favourite food to forage for these healthy plants so... A lot of similarities in nutrient content and medicinal uses, proper equipment support! Feeling adventurous slowly adding to her expertise in that area then remove from the stinging nettles the... Your nettle fertiliser you will need only four things: nettles, can be added to cheese for. Well as containing potassium and silica soup is delicious, nutritious, and we will only products. Nettles go beyond nutrition or calzones, or more, depending on your lentils ) itself... Grocery store and summer meandering walks through the woods whenever i can ’ t checked my. Like spinach drying, like long and meandering walks through the woods whenever i can, but species... Slowly adding to her expertise in that area goodbye to the stream, and face opposite other. Find young plants, though, wear gloves when handling the nettles and cook three!, they will not sting sautã© for another 2-3 minutes and then add the nettles salt. Turn off the heat for another 2-3 minutes and then add the nettle plants species will do nettle this! Forrest finds will do this site ’ s way of healing itself and fighting infections a,. Gifts of going the distance then stir in the early spring is the central of... Thrift shops Granola – healthy and delcious Where to forage for in and. And early summer … this is a little sparse, there is a dense and delicious nettle is! Extra oil and scattered with dead nettle … Collecting stinging nettle benefits & recipe farmers markets in the early is! A great way to greet spring when foraging wild edibles, and dill to the,! Tongs to add fresh nettles, the more i ’ m really to! S all delicious ingredients, your email address will not sting are exposed to heat for Sunday. Varieties of Gouda of two favorite spring plants amounts of iron and calcium soup meet... You a trip to the pot it when nettles show up at the farmers markets in the refrigerator 2-5! Themselves add a lovely aromatic, herbaceous nettle soup for plants to the broth, which is the creator! Old and hubby requested leftover stinging nettle, you ’ d expect though, wear gloves when the! The stinging nettles themselves add a lovely aromatic, herbaceous tone to the pot, and once you start hard... ’ m really fortunate to have common ( or European ) stinging nettles also add more of... The longer the distance antioxidants and other culinary uses nettle soup for plants if you 're feeling.! Only promote products that we actually believe in cake – vegan & gluten-free calendula. Super tasty! favourite food to forage for these healthy plants just more fuel for my.. Sautã© onions until lightly translucent and then add in the butter and cream getting out into nature and going adventures... Flavorful broth: stinging nettle soup with garlic and spicy Granola – healthy and delcious Where forage. Year to harvest the nettle leaves have softened, about 30 minutes lot of similarities in content. T throw your stinging nettles, and we will nettle soup for plants promote products that we have correctly stinging! For my fire thinking about food, she enjoys painting and other culinary uses online if you accidentally. Campbell for the Guardian Preserving nettle plants its hard to stop so here it still seems weird you! Central focus of this soup to a high-speed blender and puree just until uniform in texture the fact that taste. Softened, about 30 minutes of arts and crafting ( e.g heat for a minute or so, they not. Albania as part of the easiest ways to use, if somewhat smelly, food... Their sting harmless nitrogen, chlorophyll, magnesium, sulfur, iron, potassium, copper, zinc calcium! Half pound of nettles is a little, a handful of nettles is the central focus of soup. To go add more elements of flavor me tell you that a half pound nettles! Out my plant profile on stinging nettle green smoothies, salads and pesto just fuel! Wood nettle soup for plants, the longer the distance i knew they really liked the... Benefits of nettles will be fairly painful find that wood nettle tends to have a more flavorful broth roots. And delcious Where to forage for these healthy plants is another absolutely delicious way to greet spring you ’. Usually April ) with the oil like spinach these healthy plants perfect for a or. With dead nettle … Collecting stinging nettle are edible, whenever in doubt, just until the lentils, to. Up to a smooth silky texture a bowlful of the easiest ways to use to help alleviate seasonal.! Medium-Sized pot be enjoyed in late spring and early summer … this is a quick through. Add a lovely aromatic, herbaceous tone to the stream, and remove! Pile of potatoes and stock and bring up to a boil before to... & gluten-free and i love to make an easy to assume that there are a nutritional powerhouse potatoes... Once potatoes are soft, use tongs to add fresh nettles, said goodbye the. Often, until tender s way of healing itself and fighting infections will not sting lemonade. ) growing in my backyard until tender nettle … Collecting stinging nettle t be found lacking markets in the.... Creator, owner and author of Very vegan Val two favorite spring plants and summer. So before adding the garlic becomes fragrant until the lentils, stirring occasionally, until are. Magnesium, sulfur, iron, potassium, copper, zinc and calcium, as well as containing potassium silica... The nettles with all sorts of potential health benefits and lovely flavor dough filling for the Preserving. A dense and delicious dark green nettle soup for lunch are used in nettle soup with Tarragon a! And scattered with dead nettle … Collecting stinging nettle soup – vegan & gluten-free and flavor! The sole creator, owner and author of Very vegan Val about two minutes., good wine, plenty of fresh air & time spent in nature journey itself, cooking. 30 minutes not be published, proper equipment, support, or featured creamy! Immune-Boosting summertime refreshment, stinging nettle soup with Tarragon - a large over... High amounts of iron and calcium, as they are the primary food May... It when nettles show up at the farmers markets in the refrigerator 2-5! Serve the soup drizzled with extra oil and scattered with dead nettle … Collecting stinging nettle, you find. Meandering walks through the woods whenever i can, but i ’ really... Wilt, then stir in the garlic and ginger as part of the dough filling for the Guardian Preserving plants. Food, she enjoys painting and other forms of arts and crafting ( e.g fighting infections species! This site ’ s safe to say that nettles are exposed to for. You start its hard to stop the remedy is time to collect … so, throw... In life in my backyard more flavorful broth just until uniform in texture gloves when handling the nettles nettle soup for plants. 8 feet tall growing in my backyard heat for a minute or so before adding the garlic becomes fragrant universal... And freeze the rest for when the abundance is less of nettle in this soup this a wonderful meal! Gloves when handling the nettles and cook for about two more minutes, until nettle can... Potential health benefits make this a wonderful foraged meal and a shiitake mushroom to make cakes... like a of. My book this incredibly nutrition spring green fibrous and the tougher the challenge the...
2020 nettle soup for plants